About Me

My photo
I have three fabulous children and a terrific husband. I was recently laid off and have decided to try the stay-at-home gig. We'll see how it goes!

Thursday, March 15, 2012

Not so secret hiding place

Tonight I rediscovered my favorite hiding place.  I have not used it very often, but it has come in handy several times.  This space is not something I found after becoming a stay at home mom, but I feel it is going to become even more important to me as time goes by.  This evening it provided a much-needed five minute break.

My not so secret hiding place is .... the bathroom.  Think about it.  No one can bother you when you're in the bathroom.  I mean they can try, but there is a lock and everything.  Even your husband will leave you alone afraid he may interrupt some feminine problem.  I keep a Reader's Digest and Guidepost on the porcelain and I can just sit and block out all that is bothering me.  The best part is I can draw some inspiration and calm from those magazines.  After 5-10 minutes I emerge a much calmer, energized mom.

If I get to a point where the kids figure out my secret and start banging on the door all the time, I am not above hiding a pair of noise-canceling earbuds in the bathroom.  I don't know if it's considered good parenting or not to hide from your children, but I think getting away for those 5 minutes just might be more beneficial than detrimental to my children.

No comments: