About Me

My photo
I have three fabulous children and a terrific husband. I was recently laid off and have decided to try the stay-at-home gig. We'll see how it goes!

Saturday, March 10, 2012

Mourning the loss of "The Norm"

I remember when I was expecting our son, how sad I could get looking at our daughter.  She was so cute and fun, I honestly thought I was doing her a terrible injustice by having another child.  Her whole life would be turned upside down and our relationship would never be the same again. I actually cried over the loss of our life together.  That feeling has returned as we have gotten closer to the inevitable arrival of baby number three.

I was looking at our son the other day and noticably sighed.  He is so super cute and funny and is in just the best stage of childhood.  It has been wonderful having the last two weeks to spend good, quality time with him.  I was helping him get his shoes on today when he looked at me and totally unprompted said, "Mommy, I love you."  Melted my heart.

It's odd because I think our daughter will be just fine.  She has already experienced the intrusion of a sibling and, I think, is really looking forward to a new sister.  She will be seven years older than her new sister, which just boggles my mind.  I only have one sibling and she and I aren't even two years apart.

Our boy is the one I am concerned about.  He loves to be the baby and while he loves to dress up like daddy and wants to grow big and strong like him, he is all mine.  Adjusting to a new sibling could be quite difficult for him especially since she's going to require a lot of my time and attention.  I am already thinking of ways to make sure I spend some significant one on one time with him, but I am sad that we (he and I) will never be the same again.  I know he's not going anywhere, but he is my baby.  And now I have to let go of that, a little, and welcome our next baby.

I am amazed at how just when you think your heart is filled to the capacity, it can triple in size.  Right now I am mourning the eminent loss of our current family while anxiously awaiting the transformation to the next.

I feel very blessed to have these months at home with our son and daughter before the baby's arrival:  another pro to being a SAHM.

75MH5APNN9JF

No comments: