About Me

My photo
I have three fabulous children and a terrific husband. I was recently laid off and have decided to try the stay-at-home gig. We'll see how it goes!

Tuesday, March 13, 2012

Husband say what?

I am what some people may call cheap.  I prefer frugal.  Now that I'm at home all day, I am concerned about just how high our electric bill is going to get, so I have spent the last two weeks running around the house like a crazed monkey turning off lights.  It amazes me how often lights are turned on and left on unnecessarily.  Kids being kids I have had to really work on their bad habits.  Turns out my husband is also an electricity wasting culprit.  I confronted him with the joking tone I often use when I want him to change something, but I don't want to sound too serious.  His response was one of mild irritation, but mostly a pretty funny, sarcastic retort.

He's always got a real zinger waiting for me and while leaving a light on for an extra five minutes is not really a big deal, it does bring to light a true concern I have about staying home.  I want to give all I can to our family and while I know staying home is a huge contribution, it doesn't feel quite the same as bringing home a pay check.  I am capable and have the education necessary to bring more money into our household, so I feel like I'm slacking and not doing everything I can to provide for my family.  I know this is crazy!  Money is not everything and I will never be able to buy this time back.  It's another issue I am going to have to work through.

No comments: