About Me

My photo
I have three fabulous children and a terrific husband. I was recently laid off and have decided to try the stay-at-home gig. We'll see how it goes!

Monday, January 28, 2013

I can't be there for everything

I missed it.  I missed my son's first soccer game.  Admittedly, he's three and it's the YMCA indoor league, but it was still a big deal to him.  He will likely  never remember that it happened and he most likely will not remember that I wasn't there.  But I know I wasn't, and that hurts a little.  I don't think I've missed any event like that in my kid's lives.  It's a sad reality that a parent can't see everything.  Not all events are important to me, but they are to the kids.  I want them to remember that I was there.

I was missing for a good reason.  There was a special event at the Adventure Science Museum and my daughter really wanted to go.  My husband and I decided it wasn't fair for her to miss the event, so he took our son to soccer and I took the girls to the museum.

I suppose that's going to happen more often now that we have three kids and our son is getting older.  We're used to following our oldest around and now it's time for the second oldest to start participating in activities.  I can't imagine how hard it will be when we have to juggle the activities of three kids.  I think just having three in school could be a challenge.  In order to fend off the inevitable craziness, my husband and I have decided to "protect" our Sunday afternoons and evenings.  We are going to purposefully plan our lives so our whole family will be home every Sunday afternoon and evening.  I don't know how long we'll be successful, but it's worth a try.

On a happier note, my husband and I both got to see our baby crawl for the first time.  I saw our oldest and he saw our son.  It was a nice treat to get to experience that moment with him.  Now she's mobile.  Let the adventure begin!

No comments: