About Me

My photo
I have three fabulous children and a terrific husband. I was recently laid off and have decided to try the stay-at-home gig. We'll see how it goes!

Thursday, January 10, 2013

The Grocery Store Boogie Man

Normally I love the grocery store.  I love the guilt-free spending and perusing the aisles for new ingredients and dinner ideas.  Sometimes I even get to go by myself.  But yesterday the grocery store was my worst nightmare.  I've been sticking to my new meal plan, so of course I went hungry and I took all three kids.  I'm a stress eater, so the whole time we were in the store all I could think about was Oreos and cookies and cream ice cream.

To avoid impulse buys, I try never to go to the grocery store on an empty stomach.  As I walked down the aisles, the food was calling me.  Of course the juice is down the same aisle as the cookies, so on my way to get apple juice for my son I could hear the Chips-A-Hoy, Keebler Fudge cookies and sugar wafers whispering how yummy they were and how they could calm my over stimulated senses.  I was seriously jones-ing for a creamy, sweet, sugary high.

Thankfully I was able to power through.  That is until we reached check out.  Damn those check out lanes!  It's bad enough that every time I go to pay I have to wrestle my kids to keep them away from the M&Ms, Hershey's bars and magazines filled with inappropriately clad, half-naked women, but now I have to wrestle my own will power.  Yesterday I lost.  The Twix won.

Oh well.  I shouldn't completely deprive myself anyway.  That can only end with me sitting on the couch with a half a gallon of ice cream smothered in chocolate syrup, sprinkled with chocolate chip cookies.  

No comments: