About Me

My photo
I have three fabulous children and a terrific husband. I was recently laid off and have decided to try the stay-at-home gig. We'll see how it goes!

Monday, January 14, 2013

Biggest Pet Peeve

I don't know if it's my biggest pet peeve, but the button my kids push the most is the "Don't Listen" button.  I know they're young and I can't expect them to listen all the time, but when my oldest wants to show me "something cool" and I know it's going to make a mess, I'm going to say no.  And I expect her to stop before I've said, "No" six times and my voice has reached an unacceptable decibel level.  But more importantly, I expect her to stop before there is a mess.  Of course, that's not going to happen.  It makes me furious!  You'd think after hundreds of sit-ups, countless time outs, a "little" yelling, and untold lectures that even my three year old would learn to listen by the 3rd no.  I know the trick is to stay calm and discipline immediately, but in the moment it's so much easier to repeat myself and get angry.  The times I've managed to keep my cool, I've been able to take care of the problem quickly and quietly.  So why can't they stay good.  It's the constant need to repeat the lesson that wears on my nerves.  I just have to take a deep breath, pray and remember I'm supposed to be a good example.

No comments: