About Me

My photo
I have three fabulous children and a terrific husband. I was recently laid off and have decided to try the stay-at-home gig. We'll see how it goes!

Tuesday, April 9, 2013

I'm too lazy to be a good mom

There are some really great moms out there.  You know, the ones that run around with their kids at the park, do arts and crafts with them at home and are seemingly able to put all their wants aside for the good of their children.  I am not that mom.  I don't have the energy.  My poor kids ask me to play with them and sometimes I do, but I just do not have the mental strength to play kitchen, rescue bot or school for more than 10 or 15 minutes a day.  It's not like I ignore my kids, I play with them; just not for super long periods of time. 

I like to take my kids to the park so they can run around and play without me.  I like watching them have a good time while I do nothing.  I tell myself it helps them develop independence.  In some ways it does, but lately I've been wondering if I'm too lazy to be a good mom.  There is more to motherhood than cooking and cleaning and organizing play-dates, but that's the part I focus on.  I enjoy the planning, juggling activities and completing tasks.  Checking something off the "to do" list gives me a huge high.  Shouldn't playing with my kids do the same thing?


No comments: