About Me

My photo
I have three fabulous children and a terrific husband. I was recently laid off and have decided to try the stay-at-home gig. We'll see how it goes!

Saturday, May 19, 2012

Three's a crowd?

Almost two weeks as a mom of three and I think things are going pretty well.  The baby is sweet and calm and sleeping through most of the night.  It would be difficult to imagine a better baby.  My older children are adjusting well and seem to really like her.  It's amazing how you can love each new child as much as the older ones.  I love all my children equally, but I do find myself torn between them.  Whenever I spend too much time with one, I feel like I'm neglecting the others.  I don't want to spend all my time with the baby, but I don't want to only see her when she's hungry.  Obviously with our first child I could hold her all day if I wanted to.  With our second, our daughter was at daycare a couple of days a week, so I got a lot of alone time with him as well.  This time, I have all three of them everyday and it's difficult to carve out much cuddle time with her.

I love to hold her.  She's so sweet and cuddly, but I do have two other children that want my attention as well.  At the same time I have a house to keep going.  There's dishes to do, meals to make, children to bathe and then I still want to have fun with the kids.  I spent a whole 30 minutes outside playing bubbles with my older children today and felt awful the whole time because the baby was inside with my parents.  She was just sleeping.  She wouldn't have known if I was holding her.  It was the perfect time to spend quality time with my other children. 

A little while later, the baby was awake and I was holding her and talking to her; listening to my other children playing.  I suddenly felt guilty for not being in the room playing with them.  I'm still adjusting to being a mom of three.  It's definitely different.  Hopefully as the baby gets older and we can all play together some of this will fade. 

No comments: