About Me

My photo
I have three fabulous children and a terrific husband. I was recently laid off and have decided to try the stay-at-home gig. We'll see how it goes!

Thursday, February 7, 2013

More SAHM wear

There's nothing like a trip to an upscale park in the middle of the day to test your self-esteem.  I am truly amazed at how some women always seem to look great.  They wear the latest and greatest SAHM fashion, their hair is perfect and they carry around a couple of equally fashion forward children whose hair never seems to be out of place.  All I can think, is "what shampoo do they use?" and "where can I get some?".  I guess some people are just born with that kind of hair.    Seriously, these women were all in yoga pants, cute little tops, puff vests and fabulous tennis shoes.  Their hair was perfect and their children looked like Baby GAP models.  I'm not saying that they should come out looking like they rolled out of bed, but a little consideration for us under-fashionable would be appreciated.  I didn't wear my sweats or anything like that.  I wore a nice pair of jeans with a long-sleeved shirt.  I was clean and blow dried and so were my children.  And yet I felt like I was physically inferior.

It's difficult for me to understand the "fashion" mom.   They stay home just like me and even though they aren't wearing elastic wasted mom jeans that go up to their nipples or white Reebok sneakers with their hair pulled back in a scrunchy, they still have a uniform; yoga pants with North Face jacket and platinum blond hair.  Frankly, I'm too cheap to go out and buy that uniform.  I also feel guilty whenever I buy something for myself especially when jeans go with everything and I have plenty of hole-free, will work for another year T-shirts.  

On a different note, I am going to refrain from falling into the SAHM-wear trap to preserve my personal identity.  When I was working there were all sorts of things that defined me, not just my clothing.  Now that I'm struggling to find my new identity as a SAHM, I think it's important that I maintain my own sense of fashion, no matter how outdated, boring or odd.  I do believe what you wear is a reflection of who you are and I don't think choosing to wear older clothing makes me appear less "in love" with myself or less mindful of how people perceive me.  I'm clean, I don't think I smell and most of the time my clothing matches.  I would hope that people can see past all the superficial stuff and see a mom whose priority is her family, friends and neighbors.

No comments: