About Me

My photo
I have three fabulous children and a terrific husband. I was recently laid off and have decided to try the stay-at-home gig. We'll see how it goes!

Monday, November 12, 2012

Alone is but a dream

Why does being a SAHM mean I can never be alone unless I leave the house?  When I was working I could come home and work on some project, or read or just be without some one constantly needing something from me.  All of a sudden my children are unable to function unless they can ask me a bazillion questions every hour.  Sometimes they just want to tell me what they are up to, which is super cute.  But really, I would love to be alone.

I've gotten some mommy time-outs, but I always have to go out.  Sometimes I just want to be LEFT alone.  I should be able to read a book in my house.  I should be able to watch TV in my house.  I should be able to cook alone in my house.  I should be able to pee alone in my house.  Right now the best I can do as far as an activity is Sudoku on my phone.  It's perfect because I can stop it whenever and the kids can interrupt.  Unfortunately, Sudoku is only entertaining for so long.  Occasionally I get to write something, but that only happens when the kids are in bed.  Most of the time I'm trying to catch up on what I didn't get done when the kids were awake, so I have very little time for the fun stuff.

The fact that my kids really want me to be involved in their lives is a nice side effect of being a SAHM.  I knew my kids before, but no where near as well as I do now.  My son even calls me his best friend.  I'm trying not to begrudge this too much because I know in a blink they'll be gone.  I'm still struggling to figure out who I am now that I'm a SAHM and I would like to be more dynamic. 

No comments: