About Me

My photo
I have three fabulous children and a terrific husband. I was recently laid off and have decided to try the stay-at-home gig. We'll see how it goes!

Saturday, November 10, 2012

Oops, I should have been offended

I was watching "I Don't Know How She Does It" with Sarah Jessica Parker the other night and I totally forgot to be offended.  Not by the portrayal of a working mother.  That, the movie got spot on.  I could totally relate to her juggling both career and family and hating to miss things, like the first hair cut.  What should have bothered me was their portrayal of SAHMs.  All they showed was two "perfect" mothers who dropped their kids off at school and then spent 7 hours at the gym.  They were perfectly dressed and always had the home made costumes and desserts for school functions.  I realize that they portrayed SAHMs in this way for comical effect, but I wonder if that's how the world sees SAHMs?

When I was working, I saw a lot of moms at the YMCA pool in the summer and thought, "wow, that would be nice".  What I never thought about was maybe those moms have the day off, or maybe they are bored out of their minds!  Maybe while they look relaxed, their brains are actually going 20mph coming up with the list of things they need to get done. 

The movie did touch on one SAHMs potential feeling of boredom with only having family to deal with, but really I think that's the character's fault.  I'm sure there are SAHMs out there who struggle to fill their days when their children are at school.  I often struggle with the lack of a sense purpose.  Yes, there is no more important than job than being a mom... blah, blah, blah.  I know, but lots and lots of people are good moms.  It would just be nice to do something more, something different.

I know SAHMs are more than perfect cookie making, work out junkies.  I need to remember that I am more and that I should take offense and try to change the stereotype.  So I guess what it comes down to is that I haven't really begun to think of myself as a SAHM.

No comments: