About Me

My photo
I have three fabulous children and a terrific husband. I was recently laid off and have decided to try the stay-at-home gig. We'll see how it goes!

Friday, September 14, 2012

Epiphany!

I had a total epiphany this week.  Brace yourself, it's quite the revelation.... Taking care of the kids is my J-O-B!  Crazy, I know, but I have only just fully realized what my new position is.  I was really tired the other day and wanted nothing more than for my husband to come home from work to help me with the kids.  And then it hit me like a bolt of lightning; he can't just leave work to take care of the kids any more than I can leave the kids to go help him at work.  He's at work!  I'm at work.  His job is to go out, do his job and bring home the bacon.  My job is to stay home with the kids and "manage the household".  When I was working in the lab, I couldn't just ask some one else to come in and take over for me.  It was my job.  The same goes for being a SAHM.  I can't resent my husband because he's not helping me do my job. 

There is something of a grey area here because he does need to be involved with the kids.  But now it's not his job to know when swim practice is, or to get them to a friends for a play date; it's mine.  I'm basically a nanny with benefits.  I cook for them, clean for them, make sure they are bathed and help with homework.  But I'm also a confidant, a boo-boo fixer, a costume maker and a playmate.  The kids get full time care, but from some one who loves them more than anything in the world.  

Being a SAHM is a difficult job, an often thankless job, but a great job.

No comments: