About Me

My photo
I have three fabulous children and a terrific husband. I was recently laid off and have decided to try the stay-at-home gig. We'll see how it goes!

Monday, May 13, 2013

Taking it Personally

I am the type of person that judges my day by accomplishments.  I love to make a list and check the items off one by one.  It's a great high.  In my old job, people appreciated my ability to check a bunch of things off a list.  And appreciated more, how well I accomplished those jobs.  Now that I'm a SAHM I still have lists and get the high of checking items off.  What I don't necessarily get is the appreciation.  For instance, I spent hours cleaning, sorting and organizing my daughter's room.  It was Be-A-U-tiful!  Within a few days she decided she didn't like it and rearranged everything.  I'm talking took books off her bookshelf and piled them in her suitcase and other random bags because she wanted to use her bookshelves to hold her doll clothes.  Frustrating to say the least and a little insulting.  She's only 7, so it's not like she's doing it on purpose.  I was just very proud of the job I had done and in the blink of an eye it was destroyed.

I'm having to work really hard and not letting my feelings get hurt.  We reorganized my daughter's room and this time I made sure she helped and had input as to where things should go.  So now, we're both proud of how it looks and she's working very hard at keeping it nice.  Where I felt a sense of accomplishment the first time I cleaned her room, now we're both excited and I feel extra kudos for learning to be a better mom.

This mom thing really is a thankless job.  No matter how many times I put the toys away, I know I'm going to have to do it again, and again, and again.  I take pride in my job, whatever it is and right now I'm a SAHM.  I want to do my best everyday and so I will continue to put the toys away, to put the books away and whatever else I have to put away.  I'm pretty sure my family appreciates what I do, I just wish I didn't have to keep repeating myself.  

On top of being the family's social secretary, I'm also the cook, taxi, maid, landscaper, pool boy and stylist.  Is it too much to ask that my family put me on a pedestal?

No comments: