About Me

My photo
I have three fabulous children and a terrific husband. I was recently laid off and have decided to try the stay-at-home gig. We'll see how it goes!

Tuesday, June 5, 2012

What I've learned in one month

The baby is nearly a month old and I have learned a ton!  For instance, nothing wakes a baby faster than the need to pee.  Seriously, as soon as the urge to relieve yourself comes on, they start to scream.  Alternatively, the hair dryer makes the baby go to sleep, but calls the other two to the bathroom like cows to a feeding trough.  I would love to be able to get ready in the morning without interruption.  I have my routine down to about 25 minutes, shower and all (35 if I shave) and apparently I am just asking for too much time. 

I have learned that anything I want to do now takes at least twice as long if not longer.  I have been trying to work out for 30 minutes on the elliptical every other day and it has only taken 30 minutes once.  The last time I had to jump off every 30 seconds to a minute to return the pacifier to the baby for the last 10 minutes of the workout.  Making the entire workout about 45 minutes.  The constant starting and stopping makes the workout twice as hard, so I guess that might be a good thing. 

I am starting to learn the art of giving up.  The other day I was trying to balance the check book.  It took over 20 minutes to even log into the bank website because my son, who was supposed to be napping refused to and I had to keep putting him back in his room and then as soon as I got back to the computer the baby, who almost never fusses, would start crying.  I think I went back and forth (a total of 14 stairs one way) 5 times before I gave up and sat with the baby on the couch and let my son have a nap free day; the results of which are for another day.


My two oldest children will play nicely with one another until it's time to nurse the baby, then all hell breaks loose.  There's nothing like breaking up a fight between a 6 year old and a 2 year old while a newborn is trying to eat.
When they say it takes a village to raise a child, they aren't kidding.  Right now it feels like it would take a village to vacuum the living room!

No comments: