About Me

My photo
I have three fabulous children and a terrific husband. I was recently laid off and have decided to try the stay-at-home gig. We'll see how it goes!

Sunday, June 10, 2012

That's What Moms Do

That's what moms do.  I have said those very words no less than a dozen times in the last two weeks.  It is truly amazing what Moms do.  We are a truly giving, overworked group of people.  My concern now that I stay at home is how I'll deal with the pressure.  I have three main concerns: 1) Can I live up to the ideal? 2) Do I want to live up to the ideal? and 3) How do I keep from becoming a martyr?

I think everyone has an idea of what the perfect mom is.  She is calm, patient, loving and makes a killer chocolate chip cookie.  While I think I have the loving and chocolate chip cookie parts down, I am far from calm and patient.  I am no June Cleaver and to be honest, I don't want to be.  I'm goofy.  I like to rough house with my kids and chase them around the house.  As a result my kids are high energy, rowdy and loud.  For the most part I love it.  It would be nice to have a bit of quiet every now and then, but I love their wild side; even if it means they stay up two and half hours past their bed time alternating between playing tent and swords and fighting over who touched who.

Regardless of what type of mom I become I am still a mom; which means I will still be eating cold dinners, running off to another room during a party to spend 30 minutes nursing an infant, living on less than 6 hours of sleep a day, wiping butts, noses and anything else that may be vomited, pooped, peed or snotted on.  I'll kiss boo boos, clean cuts and dole out medicine.  I'll drop everything I am doing to make sure my children are fed, played with, clean, well rested and happy.  But when you give up everything you want to do to make sure some one else is happy, how do you keep from becoming a martyr? 

I know lots of women who gave everything to their family and now seem a little bitter about it.  At the end of the day I want to be happy with the choices I made during the day.  I don't want to be angry or upset that I had to rearrange my life to accommodate my family.  I want, to want to be there for them.  I know I won't be happy everyday, but I don't want to become one of those moms that makes her family feel guilty about all the things she does or missed out on because she was too busy "doing" for them.  Only time will tell how this mom thing will work out, but I'm hopeful and confident I will be able to do the right thing.

1 comment:

Kelley said...

"Only time will tell how this mom thing will work out"???? You are hilarious! You're already committed. You know that, right? And not only are you committed, you are an outstanding mom! You'll figure out the sacrifice/balance thing - and just when you do, it'll change and look totally different. You were made to be just who God made you to be - wild and loud, rocket-science brilliant, and just plain fun. Keep embracing it. He made you wonderful :)

Thinking about you ALL THE TIME last couple of days. We must have come home with 100 bugs. They're in my bed, my bathroom, on my toilet...just about everywhere. The boys are loving pranking me - and I'm thankful for the benign nature of the pranks :) We had such a nice evening at the party. Thanks for including (all of) us.

Praying for you (always) but especially these 2 weeks. Love you all lots! ~K