About Me

My photo
I have three fabulous children and a terrific husband. I was recently laid off and have decided to try the stay-at-home gig. We'll see how it goes!

Monday, April 16, 2012

My daughter's reaction Part 2

Thus far my daughter has been very happy to have me home.  She gets home sooner, has more time to play and rarely has to wait for dinner.  This morning however, I was greeted with a whole other opinion.  The last few weeks, our daughter has had some extra homework and chores at home and has not been able to watch TV in the evening.  What she is forgetting is that the weather has been awesome and we've been spending a good 1.5 to 2 hours a day outside just playing.  Anyway, her major gripe is that she "never" gets to watch TV while her brother gets to watch TV "all day".  I have chosen to ignore how insulting the last part of that statement is.

The argument was started when I asked her to get dressed for school.  She immediately got angry and wanted to know why her 2 year old brother didn't have to go to school.  I told her he would have to go to school as soon as he's old enough.  After a few rounds of "it's not fair" and "I don't want to go to school", she said, "He can go to school.  He can go to Primrose".  This kind of thing has come up a few times since I lost my job and I had to once again explain to her that we cannot afford to send her brother to school right now.  Getting used to a smaller budget has been an adjustment for her as well as for my husband and me.  Then she said to me, "I wish you hadn't quit your job".  That started a whole new discussion about how I did not quit, but had lost my job.  Unsatisfied she stomped off saying she wished I would get a new one.

I know she was just angry and didn't want to go to school, but it did hurt a little.  I am nervous that losing my job has hurt her opinion of me.  She's not old enough to understand how the working world works and only knows that her mom does not have a job.  Most of her friend's moms work.  Is it possible she thinks I'm some kind of loser because I don't have a job?  I don't think she realizes that I have decided to stay home to be with my kids and to help make our household run a little smoother.  Only time will tell.

No comments: