About Me

My photo
I have three fabulous children and a terrific husband. I was recently laid off and have decided to try the stay-at-home gig. We'll see how it goes!

Thursday, April 12, 2012

Hey, I felt that!

I am not an easily offended person.  While I certainly have my opinions about things, I wholly believe that everyone is entitled to their own opinion.  However, today I read a comment about a certain stay-at-home mom and was upset.  A democratic political strategist, Hilary Rosen, said in an interview that the wife of republican presidential candidate Mitt Romney,  Ann Romney, had never worked a day in her life and so has no idea about the economic struggle women face.  Ann Romney chose not to work and stayed home to raise their five children.  Honestly, I believe saying she had never worked a day in her life was a bad slip of the tongue and I don't believe Hilary Rosen meant any harm in that.  What bothers me is that Hilary Rosen would think a SAHM would not care as much about the economy as a working mother.  

I have been a SAHM for a little over a month, so I can't really speak from too much experience, but as some one who has had to downsize my cost of living to adjust for the loss of my job I can tell you I very much care about the economy.  My household is down to one income.  If something should happen to my husband's job we would be in a world of hurt.  I've seen the stress being the sole provider has put on my husband and I have my own worries about what could happen.  We don't have a second income to keep us going should he lose his job.  Sure I could always try and get a job and he could look also, but many people are looking for work right now.  

I don't mean to get on my soap box or anything and I know Ms. Rosen was talking specifically about Ann Romney and the fact that she is a millionaire and so does not face the same financial struggles as many other people.  But that does not mean she does not care about the economy. I absolutely believe that working moms are worried about their jobs (I lost mine!), but I think the stress is double on households that rely on one income whether it's the mom or the dad who is home.

No comments: