About Me

My photo
I have three fabulous children and a terrific husband. I was recently laid off and have decided to try the stay-at-home gig. We'll see how it goes!

Wednesday, April 11, 2012

I miss the music

I never really thought I could miss music so much.  My husband has always been incredulous as to how little music means to me.  Don't get me wrong, I enjoy music and I listen to just about every genre.  It just doesn't "touch my soul" the way it does for some people.  I don't need the constant noise.  I honestly enjoy silence.  However, now that I don't get to listen to it much, I realize how much I do appreciate music. 

It's not like I never have the radio on.  It's just when I do, there is so much noise I can never enjoy the song.  I like to be able to sing along with songs, but when my children are constantly talking to me or each other or playing their own music loud enough to pop an ear drum, I just can't enjoy it.  Also, there are just some types of music or lyrics in songs that I enjoy that I don't want my children to listen to, so I have to censor myself.  I can't let my 6 year old daughter listen to songs about shaking her butt or drinking her cares away. 

I'm rarely alone long enough to get to listen to any music.  Forget about listening to anything in the car.  I might be alone in the car 1 out of every 10 times I drive and the kids are NEVER quiet in the car.  I think they feel they have a captive audience and it's their time to just let all their thoughts, no matter how random, out.  Most of the time I think they're just talking to talk.

Oh well.  Some day my children will move out and I will be able to listen to whatever, whenever I want.  Of course by then everything I like will be considered classics and oldies.  Thank goodness the Internet will allow me to find any song I want no matter how old.  Of course by then the Internet will not exist and we will be using some other form of technology that my senior citizen self won't understand how to use and I will need my children to help me navigate it.  Or I'll be stone deaf from years of listening to their music at ear piercing volumes.  Hopefully my mind won't go too early and I'll be able to just listen to music in my head.  People may think I'm crazy, but I'll be jamming!

No comments: