About Me

My photo
I have three fabulous children and a terrific husband. I was recently laid off and have decided to try the stay-at-home gig. We'll see how it goes!

Sunday, June 9, 2013

Spontaneous Affection

The last week or so has been pretty challenging with my kids.  They had Vacation Bible School every evening and the increased activity made them CRANKY.  My son has been feeling his nearly 4 year old oats and is testing every single boundary we have given him.  The baby was woken up from her nap almost every day which makes her extra fun to be around and my oldest is still adjusting to having me around all the time, telling her what to do.  To say the least, it's been challenging.

This morning while we were getting ready for church my daughter came in, gave me a big hug and said, "You are the greatest mom in the whole world.  I love you."  I'm not ashamed to say it melted my heart.  For every one of those sweet statements I get about 50 telling me how mean or unfair I am.  And yet somehow, that one unsolicited, genuine show of affection makes all the negative mean stuff vanish.

Just a few minutes later, I was on the floor putting on my shoes when my son came in to say good morning.  We were exchanging some early morning pleasantries (a big squeezy hug and collection of kisses) when my husband called him back to his room to get his shoes on.  I'll never forget his face, he looked toward his dad, then me and in the blink of an eye, decided before he could leave, he needed to give me the sweetest kiss on the cheek I have ever had.  I nearly cried.  There was no reason for it, he just put his hand on my shoulder, leaned over and planted one on my cheek.

We have pretty good kids, but they have their moments just like any other children.  Now that I stay home, I get the full brunt of their frustration.  Mornings like today keep me going.  Maybe it takes all the whining, crying, fighting and talking back to truly appreciate those little moments.

No comments: