About Me

My photo
I have three fabulous children and a terrific husband. I was recently laid off and have decided to try the stay-at-home gig. We'll see how it goes!

Saturday, June 22, 2013

Family Reunion

I had a wonderful dinner with the girls from my previous job the other night and it was awesome.  The five of us spent many, many, many hours over 7 years, together, in the same room laughing, crying and yelling at each other.  Seeing them again made me realize just how much I miss that camaraderie.  We swapped stories and caught up on all the news.  We're  certainly a diverse group with a Westerner, an Islander, an Indian and two Southerners; we range in age from 23 to 34; some are married with kids and some are single.  And yet we have tons in common and enjoy being with one another.

For half a millisecond I thought about how great it would be to be at work again.  But then I remembered that work is more than just hanging out with those ladies.  It means experiments that don't work, funding problems, arguments over methodology, and on and on and on.  I'm SO over that.  

We were together so long I view them more as family than friends.  And as dysfunctional as we all are, I would do anything for any of them as long as they don't ask me to go back to work.  I have no commute, no boss (at least not in the conventional way) and no work stress; just family stress, which I'd have anyway.  I love being a SAHM and I think it's going to stay that way for a while.

No comments: