About Me

My photo
I have three fabulous children and a terrific husband. I was recently laid off and have decided to try the stay-at-home gig. We'll see how it goes!

Monday, February 27, 2012

The First Day

Well, it was day one today.  I think it was a success.  The kids began to battle within 30 minutes of waking up, but once I got some food in them everything was just fine. 

A concern of mine and probably a bigger concern of my husband's is that I will "let myself go" now that I'm staying home.  Even though it's only day one I am very proud that I was showered, fully dressed and even had "my face on," as they say, before taking my daughter to school this morning.  I was however, wearing slippers, but that's only because it was too cold for flip flops and my new found shoe freedom prevents me from wearing socks!  Once my feet unswell I fully intend to help multiple shoe stores decrease their sandal inventory.

It was odd.  Once I got home from dropping my daughter off from school, I wasn't sure what to do with myself.  I have a big mental list of things I want to get done, not to mention the things I need to do to get ready for the baby.  I was almost paralyzed by too many choices.  Then I got the call....or the text rather, and my day got focused.   A friend of mine was kind enough to want to celebrate the next phase of my life with a playdate and lunch; which meant a quick clean up was in order.  We had a great time.  I think my son only hurt her daugher once or twice, so I would say it was a success.  It was a lovely surprise and I'm very grateful for the encouragement and fun.

After lunch it was nap time and I had a glorious two hours all to myself.  I got to watch TV, made turkey pot pie for dinner and managed to get through a few emails from, my now, former work.  Then we were off to pick my daughter up from school and take her to her piano lesson.  Another downside to losing my job is that my son has to join us for the lesson.  I don't know how many people have ever had the pleasure of trying to keep a two year old quiet during his sister's piano lesson, but it's kind of like asking a fish to breathe out of water.... it's just not going to happen and if it does it's due to some extremely rare genetic mutation.

I have to say the most interesting thing so far about losing my job are the responses I've gotten.  My dad practically jumped through the phone with excitement for me.  He retired a little over a year ago and currently lives by the motto, "everyday is Saturday".  SAHMs congratulate me and let me know how rewarding and fun it is, while working moms and men have tended toward giving me career suggestions.  I appreciate it all and have not been offended or upset by any of it.  I actually find the difference between groups interesting.  Anyway, it gives me something to think about.

My first day as a SAHM is done and I have to say it was pretty darn good.  I'm looking forward to tomorrow.

No comments: