About Me

My photo
I have three fabulous children and a terrific husband. I was recently laid off and have decided to try the stay-at-home gig. We'll see how it goes!

Saturday, February 25, 2012

Worst Case Scenario

Just last Monday I was thinking, "What could be the worst thing to happen to a stay-at-home mom?".  My answer at the time was that you, as the SAHM, are sick and your children are completely healthy.  Turns out I might be right.  I got sick Tuesday afternoon, my husband left Wednesday on a business trip and three days later I am still trying to get over the after-effects of a nasty little cold.  The first couple days were not a problem.  I've lived through similar situations before.  It is much easier to deal with healthy children when you're sick and you get to go work and/or get to send your children to school and only have to take care of your them for 3-4 hours.  I can do just about anything for 3-4 hours.

The problem was today, Saturday.  A full day of just me and the kiddos.  I've been coughing so much the last week, that I have not slept much; so of course I'm tired.  My upper abdomen hurts and each cough is accompanied by a shooting pain in my head, coutesy of pregnancy nose stuffiness.  And the piece-de-resistance is that with each cough comes the release of just enough urine to necessitate an underwear change. Totally awesome!  Now, I am something of an underwear collector, but even I don't have that many pairs.  To top it all off the cough is made worse with talking.  And even more worse with loud talking. 

So, of course, today was the day my children decided to annoy each other to no end.  I did my best to stay calm.  But there were definately some tense moments.  It doesn't help that I'm tired and I am not known for my patience when I'm tired.  On the up side, I got a lot of practice disciplining my children without yelling; something I could definately use practice doing.  Unfortunately, I'm very limited as to what I can take to help alleviate the cough.  Not much seems to be working, so it looks like I'll be getting more practice tomorrow..  I'm even thinking of taking my husband's suggestion and drinking a cup of hot honey and water.

So how did the evening end with my kids?  Beautifully of course.  They were sweet and went right to sleep with no problems.  I firmly stick to my hypothesis that God invented sleep so at some point everyday our children would look so darn adorable that we would not eat them.  God has truly thought of everything!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Changing your underwear everytime you cough won't change even after the baby! As another mom once told me at a bounce house party. She only jumps in those things once a month so she doesn't have to change her pants every 5 min.
I think you are doing a great job with this blog by sharing your ups and downs most moms feel working or staying at home. Funny too:)