About Me

My photo
I have three fabulous children and a terrific husband. I was recently laid off and have decided to try the stay-at-home gig. We'll see how it goes!

Thursday, July 11, 2013

Learning to Balance

Keeping my "work" life and my "home" life separate has been quite a struggle since I became a SAHM.  But thanks to my husband and our new puppy, I'm starting to find some balance.  As a SAHM, my life is my home.  My work is my home.  So I never really get away from work and I never get away from home.  The challenge, therefore, is to make a life within my work.  What makes that more difficult is that I don't want my life to consist only of my children and my house.

A few weeks ago, my husband challenged me to a weight loss competition.  I've had a difficult time getting the last 12 or so pounds off and he wants to lose some as well.  We're both pretty tired and lack motivation, so the opportunity to "win" was just what we need.  I hate to lose and more importantly, I hate to lose to my husband.  So, all I can really say is it's on!  My will power and self control have been reenergized and he's is going down, but I'll discuss that more later. 

I know the only way to beat my husband is to have unfailing will power and to exercise.  Nothing major, but certainly more than I've been getting.  Fortunately, our new puppy has a lot of energy and nice long walks are just what she needs to help settler her down.  An added benefit is how I feel when I'm walking the dog.  It's been so hot here, that the best time to walk is super early in the morning, so I go by myself while everyone else is in bed.  Getting up that early is pretty crummy, but totally worth it.  I've been able to be myself away from kids.  I've been able to think about things, UNINTERRUPTED for 30-60 minutes at a shot.  It's quiet and peaceful and I'm starting to feel like my old self again.

It's nice to have something that is all mine.  I don't have to share it and I can do, say and think pretty much whatever i want.  I had no idea what I really needed was time with me and my crazy thoughts.  An added bonus is that I have managed to lose some more weight and have cracked the 150 barrier!  

No comments: